HOW MUCH DOES A RABIES VACCINE COST FOR HUMANS?
How much do most hospitals charge to give the Rabies vaccine for post exposure prophylaxis? The Rabies Vaccine is administered to a human being to guard the subject from contracting rabies, which is a serious disease that can be transmitted by infected animals. Rabies vaccines can also prevent the disease from escalating after a human has been exposed to the virus. Exposure is mostly gotten through bite from an infected animal. And it is very important to get vaccinated and also be informed about the cost of a rabies vaccine for humans in your local environment
The administration of the vaccine includes three or four doses of the inactivated rabies virus itself, this is quite safe with very mild side effects which are only experienced by few people. Side effects could be soreness at the point of injection.
Although in the United States, cases of Rabies infection are very rare. It will surprise to know that only 55 cases have been diagnosed since the 1990s. For this reason, a lot of people might not necessarily need the vaccine, but it’s very important to guard against the virus especially for travellers outside of the United States and for people that work closely with animals, especially dogs. You might want to check for the cost of the rabies vaccine at your local medical centre, though this article will as well serve the purpose.
CATEGORIES OF PEOPLE THAT NEED A RABIES VACCINE
Like we earlier mentioned, the cases of Rabies infection is very low in the country. So only people at high risk of exposure might want to consider getting vaccinated. These categories of people need it for post exposure prophylaxis and include:
- Animal Handlers
- Laboratory personnel who work with the virus
- Travellers might also need to consider getting vaccination if they are travelling to a country where rabies is quite common. It is also advisable to consult with your doctor if you will be needing a “pre-exposure” vaccine
- People that have been bitten by rabid animals. It is very important to get vaccinated immediately after been bitten by any animal suspected to have rabies as the only treatment for rabies is the vaccine.
HOW MUCH DOES A RABIES VACCINE COST?
- If you are not covered by any form of health insurance, you should understand that the cost of rabies vaccination will include: consultation fee, shot administration fee and also the cost of the three recommended doese of vaccine, which will total between $500 – $1200
- Travel-related Vaccinations, just as it is with the rabies vaccination, are not most of the times covered by insurance simply because they are regarded as being elective.
- If you are covered by any for of health insurance the cost of rabies vaccination will include copay, which could be between $10 and $40 for doctor’s visitation and additionally, a copay for each dose of the vaccine.
COST OF RABIES VACCINE IN SOME US METRO AREAS
The 10 least expensive areas for a rabies vaccine
- Raleigh, NC — $213
- Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL — $249
- Richmond, VA — $339
- Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL — $237
- Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach, FL — $248
- Las Vegas-Henderson-Paradise, NV — $330
- Pittsburgh, PA — $333
- Birmingham-Hoover, AL — $283
- Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ — $339
- Rochester, NY — $308
The 10 most expensive areas for a rabies vaccine
- Louisville-Jefferson County, KY-IN — $922
- Columbus, OH — $500
- Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH — $706
- Baltimore-Columbia-Towson, MD — $690
- Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX — $688
- Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA — $596
- Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA — $520
- San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX — $508
- Cincinnati, OH-KY-IN — $666
- Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT — $548
PROCESS OF VACCINATION
After you have been passed to get vaccinated and you have as well considered the cost of rabies vaccination, then you might want to get informed about the process of vaccination, which starts with your consultation with a health expert, which could be either a nurse or doctor who specializes in travel medicine.
- When you go for the initial consultation, the doctor will enquire about your lifestyle and activity schedule and might eventually recommend the rabies vaccination if you will be spending a lot of time with animals.
- Once is has been established that you will need the pre-exposure rabies vaccination, the doctor or nurse will then administer 3 shots. The 1st shot, and then a 2nd one after 7 days and then a 3rd one after 21-28 days from the time you took the 1st
- The vaccination will start to take effect from the 7th day to the 10th day and you are guaranteed to be protected for 2 years, provided you are able to complete the full dosage.
- In the case where you were being bitten by an animal after vaccination, it is well advisable to seek treatment immediately. But for the fact that you have been previously vaccinated, you will require less extensive post-exposure treatment. This can be of so much help as treatments for rabies are not so available in some developing countries.
The cost of Rabies Vaccine as we can determine from the article is quite similar for many locations across the United States. Nevertheless, it is quite important that you and your family consider getting vaccinated as this might just be the life-saving decision you will be taking in preparation for a future unforeseen occurrence.