HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO HAVE A LIVER TRANSPLANT? 2018
What is the average liver transplant cost with and without insurance? how long can you live with liver transplant? Does medicare cover liver transplants? In order to save the life of an individual, sometimes it will be necessary to carry out an organ transfer. And just for the fact that health is wealth and a lot of people have issues relating to their health, especially with the liver, there have been so many searches on liver transplant cost. It is quite expensive to have a liver transplant. In the United States only, a patient will need to pay between $200,000 and $800,000 for a liver transplant.
WHAT IS A LIVER TRANSPLANT?
A liver transplant is a type of surgical procedure that entails the removal of a diseased or injured liver and then replacement with a liver donated by another individual, either dead or alive. The surgical procedure may be carried out for the entire liver or just part of the liver.
THE FUNCTION OF THE LIVER
It is quite essential to understand the relevance of the liver in the body of the man. A liver is considered to be the largest organ in the body of a human being and it has the following functions to perform in the body:
- The liver is a vital organ and it is responsible for the prevention of infections and diseases in the body as its major function is to convert materials in the body to lesser into forms, which the body can then utilise.
- The liver is also responsible for controlling immune response
- It is also responsible for the processing of nutrients, medications and hormones
- The liver also plays a vital role in the creation of protein for blood clot
- The liver removes bacteria and toxic materials from the blood
- The liver is also responsible for the production of bile, which helps in absorbing fats, soluble vitamins and also cholesterol.
- The liver also stores minerals, vitamins, fat and sugar for the body to utilise.
WHEN DOES AN INDIVIDUAL NEED A LIVER TRANSPLANT?
The liver has a very big role to play in the body an individual. As discussed in the previous section, we will realise that its functions are quite numerous. When the liver begins to fail as a result of disease and infection, which may be either natural or induced by the individual, then the individual will need to have a transplant, especially when the case has gone to bad.
SET OF PEOPLE THAT NEED A LIVER TRANSPLANT
- Most of the times, it is people that suffer from liver failure that require a liver transplant. Liver failure comes in two forms, it may be either chronic of acute. Acute liver failure happens suddenly without any prior sign. And it happens in most individuals that abuse the usage of drugs. This is the most common type of liver failure in the United States.
Chronic liver failure however does not happen suddenly but progresses over time.
- People that suffer from cirrhosis, which is a condition whereby the liver fails to function as a result of long term damages.
- People that suffer from cancer which starts from the liver are also advised to get a liver transplant.
WHAT IS THE AVERAGE COST OF A LIVER TRANSPLANT
The liver transplant cost will depend on if the patient has insurance or not. For patients that are covered by insurance, the only payment that they may need to make will be doctor’s booking fee, drugs and cases of emergencies. For patients without insurance, they will need to cough out on the average $500,000 to cover foe the cost of liver transplant. This is according to www.vimo.com
WHAT IS INCLUDED?
Before a patient is recommended for a liver transplant, a screening will be conducted at a transplant centre. This is done to confirm if the patient will be due for transplant or not. If the patient is then confirmed to need a transplant, the next thing will be search for a donor.
If a living donor is available, test will as well be carried out to confirm that the donor is compatible with the patient. If the donor available is not compatible with the patient, then the patient will be required to wait and register on an organ donor waiting list.
Time to wait will be determined by the patient’s score on the Model For End Stage Liver Disease. This determines the patients that need to be attended to first as a matter of urgency.
www.organdonor.gov provides more information on the steps needed to receive a liver transplants.
WHAT ARE THE ADDITIONAL COSTS?
Any patient that has undergone a liver transplant will be required to take anti rejection drugs for the rest of his life. The drugs can cost as much as $3,000 monthly or $36,000 yearly. These drugs are however covered by insurance.
Complications due to liver transplant can also occur after the transplant has been done and this may cost about $100,000 or more to manage. Pneumonia is a condition that normally occurs after a liver transplant is done and this could incur an additional $80,000 to treat.
WHERE TO GET A LIVER TRANSPLANT?
If you are looking for where to get a liver transplant in the United States, you can contact the National Kidney Centre. They offer a directory on the best organ transfer centres across the country. India also has major liver transplant centres and one of which is http://www.indicure.com.ng/organ_transplant/liver_transplant_in_india.htm