Production Of Dettol At Home – Free E-book Manual
How To Produce Dettol Soap, Antiseptic Cream, Liquid HandWash Formulation
Here is a free guide on Dettol preparation and uses:
Quickly, I will like to define An antiseptic as any chemical combination or solution that helps or has the ability to prevent infection by preventing the growth of micro-ogarnisms. I have explained earlier in our germicide lesson that some bacteria are harmful while some are helpful.
These bacteria are every where, I mean everywhere. Wherever you find human beings, you find them. They are said to be ‘micro’ because they are so small that they can’t be seen with the unclad (Unclad) eyes. So, our effort here is to get rid of the harmful ones.
So how do I make Dettol?
Hence, our focus in this dettol production process will be on how to mix or combine our chemicals in the right proportion to help us learn how to make dettol liquid handwash.
HOW TO MAKE DETTOL
Composition of Dettol (Antiseptic Ingredients)
Chemical Materials Needed in the Preparation of Dettol (Concentrate)
2. Pine oil
5. IPA (Isopropanol)
6. Dettol colorant
You notice some of the active chemicals used in the production of dettol disinfectant (and germicide) are also mentioned here.
TUTORIAL: HOW TO MAKE/PRODUCE GERMICIDE (IZAL)
Materials And Quantity Needed For Production Of 1 Litre Of Antiseptic (Dettol Formula)
(Using tin milk cup as our measuring ingredients for making dettol)
1. Texapon…………….1/2 tin milk cup of texapon
2.Pine oil…………….1 tin milk cup
3. Phenol……………..1 tin milk cup
4. Chloroxylenol……….1/2 tin milk cup
5. IPA (Isopropanol)……2 tin milk cups
6. Dettol colorant……..As desired or quantity that will give you the exact color of dettol (brown yellow).
7. Water………………3 tin milk cups
UPDATED: 10 Small Business Ideas For Stay At Home Moms
Chemical composition of Dettol ingredients in percentage as follows:
Texapon………….. 5 0/0 percent
Pine oil……………..9 o/0
IPA (Isopropanol)……12 o/0
PROCEDURE (Steps in Dettol Production Method)
To produce dettol disinfectant: method of preparation of dettol
Step 1. Turn the texapon into an empty bowl
Step 2. Add the pine oil and stir properly
Step 3. Add the phenol and stir also
Step 4. Add the chloxylenol and stire properly
Step 5. Add the IPA (isopropanol) and stir thoroughly
Step 6. Finally, add water to the content and stir properly.
The colour should be the last thing to add. Just dissolve the colour in water and add slowly till you obtain your desired colour.
Now, you have just produced your own Dettol antiseptic. Go and buy dettol no more!
Almost every average household has one form of antiseptic or the other to satisfy a diverse collection of sanitary needs. From disinfecting toilet seats to ridding bathing water of bad germs and purifying various items, Dettol and other antiseptics are just ideal.
Probably you intend to go into the production of antiseptics and you are like, ‘the required capital is usually on the high side’, ‘top level education is required since it involves the use of chemicals’, or ‘the return on investment is petty’.
Well, what if I told you that you are capitally wrong! First, it does not cost much to start the production of antiseptic, you do not need any specialized knowledge to go into the business, and the profit you stand to make can be overwhelming or perhaps you should take statistics of how many people regularly buy antiseptics, then you would realize.
And if you doubt me, go find out how much companies like Unilever make from sales of antiseptics like Dettol.
I must however emphasize that while you have great prospects of making it big in the industry, you must as well take precautions as to avoid wastage and shortages that would increase your cost of production.
In order to be on the safe end of starting this business, some step by step approach on how to produce antiseptic.
We break the article into two parts. First of all, introduction of all the items that are required in the process, and the production procedures.
- Required Items
- Texapon—It is the agent that causes the antiseptic to foam. It a substance that acts as a detergent in that it attacks germs by attaching its hydrophilic and hydrophobic units to the germ and extracts it from the water or any substance. It enhances the dissolution of non-polar substances such as fats and oil.
- Phenol—It’s an aromatic organic compound that has a romantic smell and is colorless. It’s also called hydroxybenzene, and it serves to disinfect impure substances and it is used in reduced concentration. It is safe to use as a mouth disinfectant as well.
- Chloroxylenol—While this chemical is corrosive and should be handled with so much caution, it is the key ingredient in the Dettol production formula. It fights the bacteria in the substance you apply the Dettol on. I should emphasize that it’s a chemical that should be dealt with much care, and in any eventuality that it causes harm, seek medical advice ASAP.
- Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA)—It is this ingredient that enables Dettol serve to kill germs that contaminate an injury, as it gives the antiseptic the ability to fight bacteria and fungi. It is also a colorless organic compound under the Alkanol homologous series.
- Pine Oil—This ingredient has a sweet smell and functions as a disinfectant. It gives the impression of a dense white fume in the water when Dettol is poured into it. I’m sure you know what I am talking about.
- Coloring Agent—This is what gives the antiseptic the color it retains after production, you can color as you wish. Usually a small quantity would do.
- Water—It is a colorless liquid, that is odorless, and tasteless. Of course you know that already! Well, just for the records.
- Production Procedures and Measurement (We are assuming you intend to produce 10 Liters Dettol)
- Measure out a quarter of a liter of Texapon, and turn it into an empty container.
- Add half a liter of Pine oil into the Texapon and mix very well.
- Add a quarter a liter of Phenol into the mixture and stir very well.
- Add half a liter of Chloroxylenol into the container and mix very well.
- Add water, about 2 liters into the mixture and mix the entire thing well.
- Pour in the Isopropyl alcohol, about 6 liters, and continue the mixing.
- Before adding the coloring agent, ensure to first dissolve it in water and stir it well. After thoroughly stirring it, you can pour it into the antiseptic mixture. And this is the final step.
Note that suppose you intend to produce 20 liters of Dettol, all you need do is double the quantities of the ingredients you used; and this applies when you intend to produce less.
Precautions When Handling Antiseptics
This article would be incomplete if a cautionary note is not included to guide to prospective entrepreneurs that are looking into going into the production of antiseptics.
You must use the product for external purposes only, avoid its contact with sensitive organs such as the eyes, the tongue, and ensure not to inhale it. The reagents in the antiseptic have the capacity to cause injuries to animals if not handled carefully.
Finally, it is important to recognize the place of effective advertisement in the success of any start up. Your marketing power depends on how well you promote your business either through social media or traditional mouth-to-mouth advertisement.