Posts by Categories
Small Business Internet Business Marketing Ideas Internet Marketing Franchise Business Ideas Boost Sales Startup Investment Low Cost Business Business Plan Home Business Loan Entrepreneurship Adsense Promotion Real Estate Business Email Marketing Marketing Plan Business Marketing Banking Oil and Gas Business
The Basic Concept of Entrepreneurship - Definition, Phases and Characteristics
A Definition of Entrepreneurship and the Entrepreneur
The issue of graduate unemployment has tasked the ingenuity of many university teachers and administrators. Many graduates remain unemployed and sometimes unemployable.
In recent times however, the government has come to recognize the importance of entrepreneurship in economic development: that industrial and economic development is fostered not by few large-scale industries, but by numerous entrepreneurial ventures or rural small-scale enterprises, which have the capacity to provide employment and aid growth in an unprecedented manner.
Industrialized nations like the US and Japan owe their development to the activities of fast growing small-scale enterprises rather than the few large-scale companies that operates in their economics.
The Conceptual Model of Entrepreneurship Development, Education and Failure
Characteristics of entrepreneurship
Entrepreneurs are people who perceive profitable opportunities and are willing to take any risk in pursuing them and have the ability to organize a business.
Because the starting years of an entrepreneur are usually the most trying years of his business venture, he is usually unknown until he gets a break.
He is regarded as a man that has been abandoned to fate, and the very notion of “entrepreneur” dreads those around him. But if he weathers the storm, he becomes a Bill Gate, an Aliko Dangote and a Fred Smith.
What is Entrepreneurship? Definition and Meaning
Definition of entrepreneurship - The term entrepreneurship is the process of performing the roles of an entrepreneur. It involves the process of business planning, operating and taking risks of a business venture.
Entrepreneurship encompasses various activities which are carried out to ensure the survival and growth of the business.
Entrepreneurship has four phase process:
• The Conception Phase: This is when the aspiring social entrepreneur perceives a business idea.
• The Gestation Phase: This is the phase the idea/opportunity is been evaluated.
• The Infancy Phase: This is the beginning stage of the business.
• The Adolescence Phase: This is when the business matures.
Entrepreneur and entrepreneurship are more often associated with small and medium-scale enterprises even though not restricted to them.
Modern Concept and Need of Entrepreneurship in a Developing Society
The primary goal of a developing society is to achieve economic development. Economic development is the process of structural transformation of an economy towards a modern, technologically advanced economy are based on services and manufacturing.
Thus, entrepreneurship evolution has been recognized all over the world as a veritable tool for accelerating the development process of nations. It is however obvious that entrepreneurship theories is depicted as important for economic development.
The role and concept of entrepreneurship in economic and social development programmes can be summarized as follows:
WHAT IS THE IMPORTANCE OF ENTREPRENEURSHIP?
1. Generate Employment: It create jobs through the formation of new enterprises especially small and medium-scale enterprises. Entrepreneur provides jobs for themselves and others.
Entrepreneurship has encouraged self-employment for many youths today. The spirit of entrepreneurship has really occupied the minds of most people today who believe in themselves and in the good of self-employment instead of relying on the almost non-existent government jobs.
2. Increases Productivity through Innovation: Entrepreneurs have the potential to raise productivity through various forms of innovation. Through their innovation and creativity in entrepreneurship concepts, many people have started transforming existing business sectors, and creating new sectors.
3. Ensures Increased Resources Utilization: Entrepreneurs harness resources that might otherwise remain idle and put them into productive use.
4. Encourage Individuals Potential to Create Wealth for Themselves in the Society: Successful business people like the Bill Gate, Aliko Dangote, Richard Branson and the Warren Buffett started as SMEs, before their various businesses became conglomerates and were being studied as some best examples of the concept of entrepreneurship.
It uplifts the dignity of labour-people deriving joy in working for themselves and seeing their businesses into conglomerates and deriving joy and being a source of employment to others.
How to Decide if Entrepreneurship is for You
Becoming an entrepreneur is more like becoming a parent, and you must first decide and be prepared for it.
• Am I good at Leadership Positives?
As a business owner who will be having employees under you, you need to prepare because you are now a leader. You must be prepared in making decisions concerning your life and your business.
• Am I Passionate about my Business
It is normal, the first stage of starting a business is always stressful. It will get to a point that you will question yourself if you had made the right decision. It’s not advisable to start on the path of corporate entrepreneurship except you have the zeal to scale through.
• What’s my Risk Tolerant?
There is always no guarantee for success in business, but that does not mean you should not give it a shot. Even with enough passion to startup a business, you will still experience some pitfall or obstacles where you will doubt your ability to push further.
These are what you should know about the, “Entrepreneurship concept”, by now you should know where you stand as either as an entrepreneur or aspiring entrepreneur.